Sanctuary

First Presbyterian, Sheffield, has a long and eventful history.  In October of 1904, the North Alabama Presbytery appointed a commission to investigate the need for the establishment of a Presbyterian church in Sheffield.  From the commission, the church here in Sheffield was established on November 20, 1904 with a congregation of 13 members.
        
The first brick structure was erected during the years 1909-1911 and was finally dedicated free of debt on July 25, 1915.  On January 12, 1943, this structure was severely damaged by fire.  While repairs were made, services were conducted in the Labor Union Building.  Over the following years, the church went through multiple building projects to enlarge the sanctuary, fellowship hall and classroom space.  Also during this time stained glass windows were added to the sanctuary dedicated in memory of early church members.  These windows include one dedicated to Miss Maud Lindsay, a famous author of children’s stories and poems and teacher of Alabama’s first free kindergarten.  She was a very active member here serving as superintendent of the Primary Department, organist and teacher of a children’s Sunday School class.
        
SanctuarySince that time the church has continued to undergo different renovations and remodeling, from converting a room that projects from the side of the sanctuary into a chapel for prayer and meditation to updating the furnishings throughout the church.
        
While the physical building underwent these changes, the congregation of First Presbyterian continued to grow and change.  The congregation currently consists of approximately 70 members and is continually seeking out God’s will for the church.

First Presbyterian Church of Sheffield strives to be a place where people from all walks of life may come and be part of Christ’s body, grow together in God’s Spirit, mature in God’s grace and join together to further God’s work in our broken world.  We invite you to come and join with us in that venture.

 


First Presbyterian Church
P.O. Box 174 | 130 E. 5th Street
Sheffield, AL 35660
Phone: 256-383-1717 | Fax: 256-386-7180
fpcsheffield@comcast.net